I always have a batch of cookies in my house at all times. Once I started making them from scratch there's no going back to store bought cookie dough. Peanut butter is my favorite so this is my go-to recipe. They are so soft & stay that way, you could leave them on the counter for days and they still taste like the day you baked them.
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine brown sugar, peanut butter, shortening, milk & vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Add egg. Beat just until blended.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour, baking soda & salt.
- Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto
ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten slightly in crisscross pattern with tines of fork.
- Bake one baking sheet at a time for 8 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown. (They will not look done after 8 mins, but I assure you they are. Do not over-bake)
- Cool 3 minutes on baking sheet, do not remove them earlier or they will break.
Carefully remove cookies to foil or rack to cool completely.